CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, January 4, 2013

Cheesy Couscous

I stumbled across the original recipe for this wonderful side dish via my husband’s Flipboard addiction.  It’s become one of our very favorite sides ever since.

The original recipe calls for pimento and fresh chive, although I’ve left that off this recipe since I’ve discovered that this is an extremely versatile recipe that can easily be adapted to fit any dish you’re making.

Disclaimer: my main reason for re-writing this recipe is to add my variations, but mainly because the actual steps of the recipe on the original site is contained within a video and that makes it difficult for someone with kids (and a cat) to prepare.  So, don’t get angry with me… I’m not stealing it nor am I claiming ownership.  I’m just claiming it’s yummy.

Cheesy Couscous

(adapted from this Food Wishes video blog)

2 tsp. olive oil

1 cup Israeli couscous

2 cups chicken broth, low sodium preferable

1/2 cup heavy cream, or fat-free half and half works well, too

3 oz sharp cheddar cheese

Salt, pepper, and other spices, to taste

1. Heat oil in skillet.  Add couscous and stir until lightly golden brown. 

2. Add chicken broth and bring to a simmer.  Lower heat to just bubbling and stir occasionally until almost all of the broth has been absorbed. 

3. Add cream and stir until the majority of the cream has been absorbed into the couscous.  Don’t panic if it isn’t completely absorbed, it will thicken upon standing. 

4. Remove skillet from heat and add cheese.  Stir until melted.  Season to taste with salt, pepper and cayenne.

 

Variations

I’ve made this to go with many meals.  On one occasion, I used Mozzarella cheese and Italian seasoning.  On another occasion (read: earlier this week), when I made this recipe, I used cheddar cheese, coconut milk in place of the half and half, and spiced it up with cumin and chipotle pepper powder. YUMMY.  

0 comments: